With the news of distributing laptops for free, the CM of Tamil Nadu has captured the headlines. Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Sri K. Palaniswami this Wednesday, February 27, 2019, announced his free Laptop Scheme which intends to provide the students with a gift like no other. At the State Secretariat, he handed over laptops to seven students and initiated the chain. Here are some facts about the scheme you will be amazed to know
Tamilnadu CM Free Laptop Scheme – Fast Facts
- More than 15 lakh laptops will be distributed under this scheme and that too free of cost.
- Students of the academic year 2018-19 will be benefitted with this policy.
- This scheme would cost the state a total of Rs 1340.44 crores to the government.
- This scheme was first launched in 2011 when the venerable CM J. Jayalalithaa and AIADMK government was in power.
- Since then 37,88,528 students have received a free laptop from the state government.
- The expenditure incurred till now is estimated to be around 5552.39 crores.
For many students, having a laptop is like a dream and if the state government is offering one, it is obviously important to know if you will get it or not?
Eligibility Criteria for Tamilnadu CM Free Laptop Scheme
- You must be a student of class 12th or studying in the first year of polytechnic courses in the state.
- You must be a resident of the state of Tamil Nadu and must possess a bonafide certificate for the same.
- You must be enrolled in a government school or college. Students of private colleges are not entitled to this scheme.
So, if you are eligible and can get one, you would need to sign in for it through the portal – Tamil Nadu Laptop Distribution Scheme 2019 Online Registration. The registration process is not yet started and hence the portal does not show many options. At this moment, only the existing users can sign in.
Once the portal will be active, you will be able to Log in using your username and password. After submitting the details, you may await your priced possession that would change the way you learn.
However, having a look at the configuration of the laptop is something that would take your excitement to another level. The laptops to be distributed are from the brand HP. The screen size of these laptops having system name ELCOT-PC will be 14 inches. For other specifications, have a look at the table below:
Tamilnadu Free Laptop Scheme – Laptop Configuration
|Operating System||Windows 10 – 32 Bit|
|Hard Disk||160-320 GB|
|Processor||Intel Pentium Dual Core|
|RAM||2 GB DDR3 SD|
The name ELCOT comes from Electronics Corporation of Tamil Nadu Ltd. which is the undertaking of the government of Tamil Nadu, offering IT solutions as well as laptops to students as per the government protocol.