Delhi government has come up with a scheme which aims at offering the privilege of visiting the holy shrines and places of religious importance to the elderly people of the capital. This scheme was announced back in November 2018 and now is in its final stage i.e. registrations.
The senior citizens of the capital of India can avail the benefit of free travel packages that apply for following religious circuits –
Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana Destinations
- Delhi-Mathura – Vrindavan
- Agra – Fatehpur Sikri
- Delhi – Haridwar – Rishikesh
- Delhi – Ajmer – Pushkar
- Delhi – Amritsar – Wagha Border – Anandpur Sahib
- Delhi – Vaishno Devi – Jammu
Key Points and Benefits of Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana
- It is proposed that 1100 pilgrims will be able to go in one round.
- The total number of pilgrims who will be able to take the benefit is estimated to be 77,000 per annum.
- 15 coaches of non – AC trains will be registered for this scheme with each coach having a doctor and paramedical staff on board.
- An unarmed security guard, as well as an escort, will also be there to assist the elderly.
- If the passenger is over 70 years of age, s/he is entitled to an attendant as well, provided the spouse of the passenger is not coming along. This attendant must be above the age of 20.
- The passengers will receive accommodation and meals as well.
- The trains will leave from Safdarjung Railway Station.
- Passengers will also receive insurance benefits worth 1 lac.
- An individual who has already taken the benefit of this scheme can not avail it twice.
Memorandum of Understanding
DTTDC signed an MoU with IRCTC to ensure smooth working of the scheme. Indian Railways and Catering Tourism Corporation in association with Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation will work hand-in-hand to make the project successful.
Selection of Pilgrims
The selection will resemble a lucky draw process, however, it will be ensured that the eligibility criteria are met. No government employees can avail the benefit of this scheme. Also, there is no selection based on income levels, however, the economically weaker section will be favoured for the yojna. And till now, it is believed that people having an annual income of less than 3 lac only will be entitled to this scheme.
How to Apply for Delhi Tirth Yatra Yojana?
Registration forms will be available online. You can find it on https://edistrict.delhigovt.nic.in/. To fill the form online, you will have to register as a new user. Under the Citizen’s Corner. Else you may get it from the office of the Divisional Commissioner or concerned MLA. Pilgrimage committees will also offer aid in this proposition.