Shipbuilding Industry in India is known by the name of MDL. This PSU manufactures warships, submarines and other types of equipment for the Indian Navy. The shipyards of MDL are in functioning state since the 18th century, however, the name of Mazagon Dock Limited was acquired in 1934. The shipyard got nationalized only after 1960.
Retired Naval Office Commodore Rakesh Anand is serving as the Chairman cum Managing Director of MDL since January 2011. His main focus is to make optimum use of export opportunities. The things he has to take care of as the CMD of MDL are:
- Deal with the shipyard’s contractual obligations.
- Check for shipyard’s capacity and keep it ready for defence purpose like missile firing.
- Check Designs and development of warships and submarines.
- Upgrading the existing mechanism with the latest technology and safety system.
- Develop an expansion model and ensure its appropriate execution.
- Plan ways to boost the capacity of the dock and the turnover.
- Explore the potential market for export and make profitable deals.
- Strengthening the domestic ecosystem.
- Minimize delays in imports.
- Ensuring that the time constraint, quality checks, modifications, trials etc. which are set must be followed.
- Make optimum use of resources available.
- Look after the budgets allocated for different projects and ensure that investments prove to be profitable.
- Meet and surpass the annual targets with the help of his team.
- Aim at continuous improvement and develop a strategy for the same.
- Manage the company’s estate and take steps for infrastructural upgradation.
- Allocate responsibilities to different departments and eventually to every employee.
- Manage legal obligations and remain answerable to the Board of Directors.
- Keep a check on the status of all the existing projects which include –
|Warships||Nilgiri class frigate
Godavari class frigate
Khukri class corvettes
Delhi class destroyers
Shivalik class frigates
Kolkata class destroyers
Coast Guard vessels
Floating police stations
|Shishumar class submarine
Scorpène class submarine
Mr Rakesh Anand aims to gift this PSU the status of a Navratna. And for the same, he is laying tireless efforts. MDL ranks 6th globally among the shipyards having the capacity to create destructive as well as conventional submarines. He receives a remuneration of Rs 2,00,000 – 3,70,000 for his services at MDL.